Melzii's Spicy Melk
- 1¼ cups (244g) long grain white rice (dry uncooked)
- ½ cup (50g) sliced almonds
- 2 cinnamon sticks (approx. 2½-inches each)
- 3 dry chili peppers (ancho, Chile de árbol, etc.) stems and seeds removed
- 4 cups (945ml) cold water
- ½ cup (100g) granulated sugar, or more to taste
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups (475ml) whole milk
- Add rice, almonds, chili peppers and cinnamon sticks to a high speed blender. Blend about 30 - 60 seconds on high speed or until finely pulverized, stopping occasionally and shaking blender if mixture sticks to the bottom.
- Pour in 2 cups water, sugar and vanilla. Blend an additional 30 seconds. If your blender can fit the additional liquid pour in remaining 2 cups water, and milk, otherwise pour into a large enough container to fit along with water and milk.
- Cover and chill 8 - 12 hours.
- Strain mixture through a fine mesh sieve into a pitcher. Serve with ice if desired, garnishing each serving with ground cinnamon or cinnamon sticks.
PS: if you want to choco-fy this ... just add shaved cacao (80% or higher)